Gillian Royes Revealed
About Gillian Royes
What is your birthdate?:9/7
Previous occupations:Entrepreneur, consultant, aviation executive, university lecturer.
Favorite job:Writing -- by far.
High school and/or college:St. Andrew High School for Girls, Kingston, Jamaica. And Colorado College, Colorado Springs.
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Bob Marley, of course.
Favorite movie:The King's Speech
Favorite television show:House. It's all about the suspense!
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Living to the fullest while awakening the Creative.
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Leave no stone unturned.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. It means following my deepest intuitive feelings. That means doing work that feels like fun, being around people who are authentic and optimistic, saying 'no' to anything that takes me off my path, and saying 'yes' to everything else.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Spiritual annihilation.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. By the ocean.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Elizabeth I. We're born on the same day. She was a feisty, multi-talented woman who let nothing stand in her way.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Isabel Allende. Not only does she write well, but she has survived her daughter's death and created a loving relationship with a man in a foreign country. All difficult.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. My dear.
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Occasionally hurting people I love.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. The art of soaring with the literary eagles.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Giving birth to a daughter who constantly surprises and inspires.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. My laser-beam focus.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. My laser-beam focus.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. An African tulip flower. They grow on the top of the tree, are brilliant orange-red, last a long time -- and only survive in warm climates.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. I'm told I appear very calm.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Inspector Poirot, no, Sherlock Holmes, no,....
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Professor Moriarty
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. Elizabeth I. I'd ask her why she never married.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. The gun laws. Or lack of their enforcement.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Being with loved ones.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Architecture.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Honesty, optimism, dependability.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Fruit. (Are nuts fruits?)
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. Solamente una vez; Lady in red; Redemption song; Blue moon; Sabor a mi (the sexiest song ever written).
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Bronte Sisters
Alexander McCall Smith
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. The Hound of the Baskervilles
The House of the Spirits
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. No. I read and move on.
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Read, write, and attend writers workshops.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. "Love the plot, love the characters, love the location."