Ian Marchant Revealed
About Ian Marchant
Previous occupations:Bookdealer. Bookmakers cashier.
Favorite job:This one
High school and/or college:Newhaven Tideway, Lancaster University
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Bacharach
Favorite movie:Withnail & I
Favorite television show:The Simpsons
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Bucolic. Plump. Grand-fatherly. Nocturnal. Smoky. Bookish. Funny. Girly.
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Everyday is lost on which we do not dance.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Finding a copy of J.P. Martin's 'Uncle and the Battle for Badgertown' in a charity shop for 50p.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Woodlice.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Radnorshire
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Peter Cook
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Gus Poyet
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. Fuck off
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Where to start?
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. Swimming
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Fatherhood
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Again... where to begin?
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Temperance
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. I would be me.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. Bad teeth, apparently
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Nicholas Jenkins, 'A Dance to the Music of Time'.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Kenneth Widmerpool, ditto.
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. I would like to have met Luther. And I'd say, 'Be careful what you wish for.'
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. That I don't have a dog
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Singing
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Bus conductor
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Looks, money, great shoes
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Ulster fry
On Books and Writing
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. 'A Dance To The Music of Time' by Anthony Powell
'The Dispossed' by Ursula K. Le Guin
'The Master and Margarita' by Mikhail Bulgakov
'1984' by George Orwell
'Three Men in a Boat' by Jerome K. Jerome
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Write, damn you, just write.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. The big lad done good.