Jo Graham Revealed
About Jo Graham
What is your birthdate?:4/3
Previous occupations:I worked in politics for fifteen years as an event planner, development person, field director, lobbyist, and executive director of advocacy organizations.
Favorite job:I love doing event planning for very large political events.
High school and/or college:I went to UNC-Chapel Hill.
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:No idea! I like classic rock, but I have a lot of favorites.
Favorite movie:The Empire Strikes Back is the one that changed my life.
Favorite television show:Sanctuary! It's the most fascinating show on tv! And Amanda Tapping is utterly amazing.
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. unconventional, interesting, happy, balanced, focused, enjoyable, creative, loving
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Dare to do it!
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Knowing you are doing exactly the thing you are supposed to be doing right then in that particular moment, being entirely in the moment and perfectly on.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Regretting things I didn't have the courage to try.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Sitting in a cafe in Paris watching people go by.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Is it cheating to say Cleopatra's handmaiden Charmian? Since I wrote a book about her?
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. I admire Hillary Clinton enormously.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. "like" "totally" and "awesome!" I sometimes talk like a Valley Girl!
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Not having served as active duty Air Force.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. I would love to be able to sing! Instead I'm utterly tone deaf.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Doing good, solid work in politics for a critical decade, and writing twelve books in six years.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. I'm too modest. (Heh.) Er, rather the opposite actually. Pride.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Generosity and courage.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. I talk. A lot!
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Oh so many! Indiana Jones is the one I'd probably get along with best in real life. Or John Sheppard from Stargate Atlantis.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Erik Lehnsherr from X Men, especially as played by Ian McKellen!
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. I love to garden.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Space pirate!
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Courage, loyalty, inventiveness
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Ice cream
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. That changes all the time! Right now I'm listening to Edge of Glory by Lady GaGa, Devils and Dust by Bruce Springsteen, After Two Thousand Years by Billy Joel, Because the Night by Patti Smith, and Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones. Those are the top five on my playlist.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Mary Renault, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Judith Tarr, Jean Auel, Colleen McCullough, Jacqueline Carey, and of course Melissa Scott.
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. The Persian Boy by Mary Renault
Watership Down by Richard Adams
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey
Tales of the South Pacific by James Mitchener
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. I think I've read The Persian Boy about forty times!
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Don't take a class!
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. That they've read my book over and over and each time find something new in it.